Models often tell me that they wonder why they didn’t get this modeling gig, or that one. There are a few things you can do to improve your chances, and really stack things in your favor. I’ve photographed hundreds of nude models, and I’ve looked at applications
Make sure you cover the basics. These aren’t tips or secrets; these are the bare minimum. If you don’t do these, you likely won’t get any worthwhile modeling job. Doing these won’t set you apart from other applicants, but if you don’t do them you won’t even get past the front door.
- Read the casting call. Don’t apply unless you fit what they are looking for.
- Reply with an answer to everything that is asked in the casting call. If it asks for stats, give them; photos, send them.
- Include your contact information so they can contact you back.
Here are the Tips for getting the job
Here are some things that many model’s don’t do but should. These will help set you apart. Many models who worked with me did these things and it helped them get the job.
- Look at the photographer’s work. Show him shots that show him how you can fit into what he does.
- Get a second opinion before choosing your portfolio shots. If possible ask a photographer which shots will win more jobs for you.
- Include large photos. Photographers want to see details.
- Don’t send photoshopped images, or try other ways to hide what you look like. A plain image that is true is better than the best photoshopped image. Photographers don’t care how good a Photoshop guy was with your image (they’re hiring a model not a Photo retoucher.) Photographers notice when a model is trying to hide something, and usually move on to the next applicant.
- Follow up. You’ll learn more about the job after you apply, and you should get back in touch with the photographer to give him details that you forgot in your original application. Don’t be a pest, but don’t disappear either.
- Don’t use old photos. Use recent ones.
- You don’t have to send nude photos to get a nude modeling job. Most models don’t send in nudes. A bikini shot is fine to see what you look like. You can send nudes if you want to, but make sure they’re not radically different from the style of the shoot you’re applying for.
- Check your email regularly and respond to questions right away.
- Don’t apply to so many gigs at once that you can’t keep up with them all.